Modular Sedum System - The S-Pod/Sedum Tray
This method of laying Sedum consists of a tray with all three layers built in (Drainage layer, Substrate and Sedum). These can be easily placed on the prepared roof on top of the waterproof layer. They are much easier and quicker to install and are half the weight of the traditional Mat system (48kgs per m2 vs 98kgs per m2). They also comply with Fire regs.
Grown here on our farm in Wiltshire
They have on average 9-12 British hardy Sedum varieties
The S-Pod Module
The new innovative way to create your green roof. No horticultural knowledge is required as the S-Pod / Sedum tray has been designed and grown allowing easy and efficient installation. Incorporating all three layers within a simple green roof module, the S-Pod /Sedum tray provides an instant green roof.
The S-pods are grown here on our farm in Wiltshire and come 90 -100 % covered in established Sedum. We use 6-9 varieties of sedum, this years list is available to download here
This is our premium produce and offers the superior sedum mix ensuring a long lasting quality green roof
Benefits of the S-Pod/Sedum Green Tray System
- Lightweight – There are some key benefits of green roofs but especially when using the Modular System, the S-Pod. Weighing in at just 48kg m2 this is nearly half the weight of the traditional mat system. Reducing the weight in this manner can make large savings on the structural and foundation elements of your building. With less weight the timber sizes can be reduced, and in some cases concrete needed for the strip foundations can also be reduced. Always check with us or your engineer first. The S-Pod system also allows for easy installation on existing buildings.
- Unique – Sedum Green Roof is the only producer of the S-Pod Module/Sedum tray in the UK to include a filter fleece in order to combat leaching into the drainage layer. Sedum Green Roof also uses a unique expanding clay to stop the reservoir chamber becoming stagnant during the winter months, keeping your green roof perfect all year round.
- Quick and Easy to Install -When your S-Pod/Sedum Tray arrives it simply clicks together, forming an instant green roof. No mess or fuss! You or your builder or contractor can fit the S-Pod with no prior green roof experience. It’s a matter of getting trays onto the roof and putting them down.
- Inspection – If it is ever required to inspect the roof, ie. a leak in the roof or to gain access to your waterproof membrane, just lift up a module and then replace. The S-Pod does away with cutting through the different layers to gain access saving time and money.
- Sedum Variety – We grow the S-Pods here in Wiltshire and after many years of trial and error we have chosen the best and most suitable mix of Sedum varieties to ensure a long lasting roof, with a lovely mix of colours.
- Replacement of Plants – From time to time certain plants may need to be replaced for one reason or another. With the S-Pod a module can simply be replaced with another pre-grown pod if necessary or we can supply Sedum plug plants.
The S-Pod/Sedum tray modules click together both horizontally and vertically providing a firm and stable roof.
The S-Pod can be placed on many types of roofs including pitch but please contact us for further information. The trays will knit together forming a complete blanket within weeks (during growing season!), you can walk on them as well. The lightweight and click together aspect is perfect for Green Roofs.
The Presence of a Green Roof Layer Can Help With...
- UV Radiation… these materials breakdown by photochemical reactions but with a green roof this is absorbed by the vegetation.
- Heating/Freezing and Temperature of the Roof Surface… the extremes and alternation of temperature create tensions in the roof and enter cracks or seams which eventually break. This is especially the case in bitumen roofs. The presence of a green roof system really helps to prevent these problems.
- Uneven Heating of Different Roof Coatings… this results in blistering and deformation of the seals. A green roof helps to prevent this by equalising the heating throughout the roof and helps to provide a constant and stable temperature.
- Mechanical Damage… sometimes hail or wind can damage a roof, the green roof will help to prevent this acting as a buffer zone.
- Thermal Insulation… a green roof will help to ensure moderate temperature regimes. Warmer in winter and cooler in the summer.
- Sound Insulation… the green roof allows for sound absorption. The overall effect of this is associated with the size and structure of the green roof.
- Visual… besides less extreme temperatures, higher humidity and cleaner air, green roofs also provide attractive roofs and a softer roof environment. They are pretty to look at!
Simple & Quick to Install
Everything in one easy tray module! No need for a mat and all the hard work! The Premium S-Pod or Sedum tray for your green roof system is much easier to lay, it is light, easy to manage, and needs no extra layers as does the Sedum mats or Sedum plug plant methods. They are lightweight, clip together, and are grown in easy manageable trays. See the relevant pages on benefits of green roofs and green roof systems.