The method below is for a Sedum mat and requires the waterproofing of the roof and the substrate and drainage as explained below. The new modular Tray method the S.Pod or Sedum Green Tray, does not need the substrate and drainage layer and is therefore much easier to lay. This new method is now available and details of installation are listed below.
Substrate and Drainage layer
- Make sure you have an up-stand to retain the drainage layer and substrate around the perimeter of the roof. This can be a timber structure or Sedum Green Roof can supply an alluminium up-stand. Sedum Green Roof can install the entire roof if required.
- Unroll the drainage layer with the dark thick fleece facing down onto the existing waterproof membrane. Make sure you open out the white flap of the top layer, filter fleece.
- Take all the bags of substrate onto the roof and work from one end. Lay a minimum of 50 mm substrate growing medium onto the roof.
- Make sure that the entire roof has been evenly laid.
- Unroll the Sedum Mats around the perimeters of the roof and work your way around to finish at the centre of the roof.
- Unroll the mats within a few hours of delivery or they may become damaged.
- During dry spells when the mats are first establishing ensure that your mat is watered. This is only until the mat is established.
- Ensure that you lay the drainage layer the correctly as detailed above.
If you have any problems please do not hesitate to contact our team. Sedum Green Roof offers an entire roof building service from scratch so do contact us for a site visit. Sedum Green Roof also offers a maintenance contract should it be required.
Press on picture below to link to see our fun video of Jim in action installing a Green Roof
Guide to installing your S-Pod Module or Sedum Tray
- Unpack and water S-Pods/Sedum Trays on arrival.
- Make sure you have an upstand around the perimeter of the area you intend to use. This can be an aluminium trim which we can supply or something of your own choice.
- Clear area where you intend to use the S-Pods/Sedum Trays.
- Make sure there is an adequate waterproof membrane and root barrier on the roof before you commence laying the S.Pods/Sedum Green Trays.
- Set up ladders or platforms for easy and safe access to the roof.
- Click the S-Pods/Sedum Trays together in a row. Start from the lower edge, or the initial edge that is to be seen. Any cut can then be made in area out of sight.
- Each S-Pod/Sedum Tray has a lip which clicks on the top of the next one, alternatively.
- S-Pods or Trays can be cut with a grinder or similar tool. Face any cuts so they are not seen from the edge, i.e. on the inside edge. Alternatively, fill any gaps with pebbles which we can also supply. Over time the sedum will grow over the edges and soften the appearance, they will intertwine and no edges of the S-Pods will be seen.
Key Points and Aftercare
- Unpack and water the S-Pods on arrival.
- During dry spells of more than 3 months it is wise to water the plants.
- The plants can be trimmed after flowering but this is entirely up to you, this is only for appearance.
- Spring and Autumn are the best times for maintenance. See page on Maintenance.
- Ensure that you clear any rainwater pipes, down pipes or guttering. Sedum is a very hardy plant but it does not like to sit in pools of water for any great length of time so it is wise to make sure the drainage is adequate.
If you would like any further information please don’t hesitate to contact us. We are here to help!
Installing Sedum Green roof mat is straight forward but the modular tray Green roof system is a great deal easier. The mats are better for large areas. Enjoy your Eco Green Roof but do contact us if you have an installation or maintenance of sedum problems. We can install your Sedum Green roof mat or install the modular Tray Green roof system and take the strain out of the maintenance.